Monday, March 27, 2006

The State of the Union

My sentiments about the state of the union align fairly well with those voiced by Michael Franti, Incubus, and even Eminem... Check out these song lyrics...

Bomb the world (Armageddon version) Michael Franti

I don’t understand the whole reason why
you tellin’ us all that we need to unify
rally round the flag
and beat the drums of war
sing the same old songs
ya know we heard ‘em all before
you tellin’ me it’s unpatriotic
but I call it what I see it
when I see it’s idiotic
the tears of one mother
are the same as any other
drop food on the kids
while you’re murderin’ their fathers
but don’t bother to show it on CNN
brothers and sisters don’t believe them
it’s not a war against evil
it’s really just revenge
engaged on the poorest by the same rich men
fight terrorists wherever they be found
but why you not bombing Tim Mcveigh’s hometown
you can say what you want propaganda television
but all bombing is terrorism

(chorus)

we can chase down all our enemies
we can bring them to their knees
we can bomb the world to pieces
but we can’t bomb it into peace
whoa we may even find the solution
to hunger and disease
we can bomb the world to pieces
but we can’t bomb it into peace

911
fire in the skies
many people died
and no one even really knows why
they tellin’ lies of division and fear
we yelled and cried
no one listened for years
but like, “who put us here?”
and who’s responsible?
Well, there’s no debatin
cause if they ask me I say
it’s big corporations
world trade organization
tri-lateral action
international sanctions, Satan
seems like it’ll be an endless price tag
of wars tremendous
and most disturbingly
the death toll is so horrendous
so I send this to those
who say they defend us
send us into harm’s way
we should all make a remembrance that
this is bigger than terrorism
blood is blood is blood and um
love is true vision
who will listen?

How many songs it takes for you to see
you can bomb the world to pieces
you can’t bomb it into peace

*If you are interested in hearing other songs along this same theme, search for "Megalomaniac" by Incubus, or "Mosh" by Eminem.

**I'm sure others of you out there have other great recommendations and I most definitely welcome them... and if your opinion is of a contrary position... well I welcome that too! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! Even better, OWN your comment and tell us who you are.


1 comment:

Jessica Rose said...

Deep. Whoa. I agree with what he's saying here. I just don't think its right that after all this time there are still people dying and you don't hear much about progress. I mean, if there's progress, wouldn't that mean we'd be close to an end right now? I think this has gone on for far too long. Maybe to a point where I can't help but wonder if it's futile to keep our soldiers out there any longer. I say BRING 'EM HOME! -Oh, and babe, I also think it's great that you're turning this into a public forum of sorts! Great idea! I hope that many people do leave comments. This will be interesting! Love you!