Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Friends at Arms

When I was 18 years old, I was contacted by recruiters from the Army, Navy, and Air Force. I could not get into any branches of the military because they couldn’t guarantee that I’d receive my medications… Funny how they only want to send healthy people to foreign countries to die... "We don't want to send any sick people to die for their country..." like I'd be a bad representation, a poor ambassador! What an insult. I'm no less brave or whatever...I'd like to think that I am a reasonably good strategist and leader... But nevermind. I am grateful that I will never have to face the horrors of war. I will likely never be put in a situation where I need to take another man's life.... the glory that the Armed-Forces markets on TV and Internet ads is mitigated by the reality of what it truly means to be at war...

I am consequently I am forced to live out my war-hero fantasies vicariously through my friends: Mike Gross, Ralph Seuss, Joseph Lewis (not pictured), and Patrick McQuaid (also not pictured).



Ralph is in the Army, Mike Gross is a Ranger, while Joe Lewis and Patrick McQuaid are both in the Navy. These men are all individually outstanding, and I love them as my brothers. I admire their talents and characters, and hope always for their safety and success. While I agree with neither the war nor the President, I absolutely believe that we all should support our Troops. Good Luck and God Bless!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recently Bush said he plans on keeping troops here in Iraq till 2008. By this summer, the Iraqi National Guard should have as much as 75 percent of the troop strength. We are making progress. Before you know it we will be able to give the country back to which it belongs. I’m not gonna Dog out Bush cuz that’s the enemies’ greatest weapon, bad media. Most people have a bad view of the war. Once you visit this country, see the schools we are putting kids into, medical treatment for those who have never seen a doctor in there life, It might change you opinion. But, we still have a long way to go. I have the most respect for the soldiers that serve, fight and give there lives for there country. I’m saying support War, but defiantly support those soldiers who fight it.
-An American Soldier

Jessica Rose said...

WoW babe! First of all, why did you ever want to join the miliary to begin with? I would say that you have been priveleged rather than your abilities minimised. Yes, you are very strategic. Yes, you are very compassionate. Yes, you lead very well. Your talents never cease to amaze me. So what I'm trying to say is that I am glad that you will never have to go to war and face the horrors that come with wars. I do not believe that it is an insult that the military would not let you join. I think you were being protected. And if you are so concerned with being a hero, then focus on fighting for and defending your family and friends that are right in front of you. You do not have to be in some war to really be a hero. You'll always be my hero and that will never change regardless of what you do and do not achieve. I am always proud of you. You are a soldier of another kind and I respect that. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Timbo. I don't believe in the reasons that we are still in this war, but I do believe in our Soldiers that are carrying out their missions to do right by the people they are protecting and providing for. We must support our soldiers and their families because they represent not only the U.S., but because they represent us. They are our sons and daughters, they are their children's parents, they are are neighbors and co-workers, and they are related to someone we know. We pray for their safe return. I hope it is sooner than 2008 like 'anonymous' has stated.